At the end of the academic year, we do a report to the Digital Projects Priorities Team on the past year's activities. This is an edited version of that report. It was a very productive year.
My thanks to the team: to Erica Rau and Kathy Howard in Digital Projects, who did such great work on so many projects; to Callie Coward and Anna Craft from Cataloging; and to Scott Hinshaw, Kathelene McCarty Smith, and everyone else in the Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives. Thanks as well to the department where Digital Projects "lives", Electronic Resources and Information Technology, for a level of support that goes far beyond the call of duty. We couldn't so many great projects without a real collaborative team and I really appreciate the way everyone pulls together to accomplish all our goals!
Special thanks to Stephen Catlett, who completes his tenure as Textiles, Teachers, and Troops project manager this week after doing some amazing work over the past two years. Stephen did an incredible job working with our partners and students on TTT as well as with community outreach on our CBR/local history grant project and coordination of displays and our launch event in April. We are very much going to miss having him around and hope we can rectify that situation soon!
Also, many thanks to this year's team of student workers (Evan Chu, Megan Coker, Tatiana Cox, Rachel Sanders, James Stewart, Phil White, and Hayley Whitehead) and our volunteers (Larry Daniels, Bernitae Reed, and Touger Vang). Your efforts are much appreciated and we couldn't do any of this without you!
An announcement of this year's approved and continuing projects will be available in the next few weeks.
2013-2014 Project Status:
- American Publishers Trade Bindings Phase 6: Complete and online (159 images).
- Campus Life Photos: In progress (322 images).
- CBR Project/Community Collections: Complete and online (1137 images).
- Class of 1951-present: Complete and online (11031 images).
- Creative Writing Manuscript Collections: Nearly complete, mostly online.
- Robert Watson Papers: Complete and online (5973 images).
- Randall Jarrell Papers: Nearly complete, partially online. Should be fully online by September. (6544 images to date).
- Ege Manuscripts: Complete and online (101 images).
- Home Economics Pamphlets Phase II: Scanned, should be online by early July at the latest (8184 images).
- Lois Lenski Rare Books: In progress. 13 books scanned. Should be online by fall. (625 images)
- Manuscript Collections Scrapbooks: In progress, many already online. Probably 15-20 remain. All should be online by December. (10159 images this year)
- Music and Theatre Productions: Nearly done, many already online. Should be completely online August at the latest (2843 images to date).
- Oral History Collections: Approximately 20 new interviews online.
- Textiles, Teachers, and Troops: Substantially complete and online (no annual breakdown, approximately 15000 images in-house plus 125000 items from the Charles Duncan McIver Records outsourced this year, two-year total of approximately 180000 images).
- Women Veterans Historical Project: Approximately 15 new oral histories online, 100 other items.
- DigitalGreensboro.org interface completed by ERIT Development Team.
- Civil Rights Greensboro Migration To CONTENTdm: Complete and should be live this summer.
- Women Vets Migration: Data dump and work plan complete. Target date for completion: early October.
- Worldcat Integration: Most collections now included in Worldcat.
- DPLA Submission: Most collections now included in Digital Public Library of America. We are currently the third largest contributor in the state (24641 items) with three times as much material as number four.
- Creation of CONTENTdm landing pages based on priority focus areas:
We now have 251003 digital files in CONTENTdm, our digital content management system, making 25243 items and spanning nearly a thousand years of history...although most are admittedly from the past 150 years or so.
- 8243 newspapers
- 4968 photos/photo folders
- 2223 clippings/folders and items containing clipping
- 1529 pamphlets
- 928 pieces of correspondence
- 702 music scores