We're excited to announce that the University Archives Scrapbooks Collection is now available online as part of the University Archives digital collection. This two-year project is one of the largest in-house projects Digital Projects has completed to date, with over 23,000 individual scans representing 236 scrapbooks. The scrapbooks were originally created by groups and departments affiliated with UNCG and its predecessors, including dormitories, student groups, and academic units. An additional project, scheduled for completion next year, will digitize another group of scrapbooks created by individuals and by groups that were not necessarily affiliated with UNCG.
The scrapbooks presented some unique challenges with respect to display and description. Since many pages had multipage items (e,g. programs, letter, etc.) attached to them, we devised a hierarchical display convention that shows the full-page scan and also allows the user to explore the individual items that were attached to that page. The items were described and made accessible through a metadata plan that involved a collaboration between staff members from Digital Projects, Cataloging, and the Martha Blakeney Hodges Special Collections and University Archives. We have completed several presentations and one publication about the process.
We have featured some individual items on the Digital Projects Facebook page (including our discovery of the so-called "archival peanut") and will continue to post there and on the University Archives and Digital Projects Twitter feeds.
In addition to David Gwynn, Digital Projects Coordinator, the project team included:
- Rob Bixby, Digitization Technician
- Kyle Butler, Student Assistant
- Olivia Carlisle, Student Assistant
- Ronunda Claiborne, Student Assistant
- Callie Coward, Monographic Special Collections Cataloging Assistant
- Anna Craft, Metadata Cataloger
- Amanda Fonorow, Student Assistant
- Scott Hinshaw, Archives Technician
- Jacey Kepich, Student Assistant
- Erin Lawrimore, University Archivist
- Kathelene McCarty Smith, Artifacts, Textiles, Digital Projects Archivist
- Erica Rau, Digitization and Metadata Technician
- Michael Reeder, Support/ERIT Projects Technician
- Rachel Stas, Student Assistant
- Hermann Trojanowski, Special Projects Archivist